Thursday, October 10, 2013

Give me a hurricane any time

I had been watching reports of the massive earthquake that hit Japan on March 11, 2011, and it was really scary to watch.  Here in Jamaica, we had an earthquake in 1993 that measured 5.3 and that was frightful, so I can only imagine what an earthquake of 9.0 magnitude would be like.  When the earthquake hit us, I was at work and my sons were at school.  They were only 5 years old at the time, and they said that the teacher ran out of the classroom and left the children.  I could only hope that if we got another big earthquake, it would happen at night when everyone would be home.

With a hurricane, there is advance warning of several days.  We can track the hurricane on the internet or on TV, see every wobble and turn, and prepare.  We had hurricane Gilbert in September 1988.  That was a massive hurricane, which hit us on a Monday.  On the day before (Sunday), I watched the path on the weather channel on satellite TV, but on local media there was not much information.

I drove to the gas station and filled up my tank.  At home I filled up every possible container I could find with water, including the bath and washing machine.  I had just had a case of disposable diapers delivered for my babies the day before, so I was okay there.

The walls of my house are made of concrete blocks and steel, the roof is made of concrete slab and steel, and the windows are baked enamel.  A hurricane-proof house.  The only thing I had to do was pull down the canvas awnings so they would not get destroyed by the wind.  I lost several trees, including mango, otaheiti apple and banana.  I lost my three mango trees (julie, bombay, and east indian).  I subsequently bought three mango plants to replace them from a plant store that shall remain nameless, only to find a few years later that I was sold three plants for hairy mango.

I know that a hurricane can be devastating for people whose houses are not hurricane-proof, or people who are homeless, although they can go to the shelters that are provided.  Jamaica is now more prepared for hurricanes than they were for hurricane Gilbert.  We now get up-to-the-minute information on approaching hurricanes, and the radio stations give 24 hr. coverage.


                                    My fir tree broke and fell on the lawn during Hurricane Sandy, October 24, 2012


..

No comments: